Do you know what to say to someone who has cancer? Not many people do. Dealing with this disease is difficult on the patient as well as loved ones.
Just because you don’t know exactly what you should say does not mean you should sit back and hope that the right words come along. You want your loved one to know that you care and are there to support them. If you put your heart into it, what you say will provide much needed comfort.
Simple Tips On What To Say
Here are several tips to keep in mind as you search for the perfect words:
1. Express your concern. Believe it or not, this is one area that many people avoid. There is nothing wrong with saying something such as: “I am sorry to hear that you are going through this.”
2. Offer your ear. Often times, cancer patients want nothing more than somebody to talk with. Let your loved one know that you are available to talk – morning, noon, or night. They may never take you up on this offer, but simply knowing that you are available can go a long way.
3. Offer assistance. From helping with errands to offering a ride to and from treatment, anything you can do to help is better than nothing at all.
4. Ask how the person is feeling on a given day. So many people automatically assume that a cancer patient is feeling bad. However, this is not always the case. Rather than making an assumption, ask: “How are you doing today?”
5. Don’t be afraid to show your feelings. For example: “I don’t really know what to say, but I just want to let you know that I am here for you and care about your situation.”
By following these tips, you will have an easier time finding what to say to someone who has cancer.